fbpx
Connect with us

News

UPDATED: Millions mourn assassinated Iraqi general as U.S. soldiers say they will leave Baghdad area

Millions of Iranians – many crying tears of rage – took to the streets Monday to bury their assassinated military leader.

mm

Published

on

Millions of Iranians – many crying tears of rage – took to the streets Monday to mourn their assassinated military leader.

Irans supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei openly wept as he spoke at the funeral for his second-in-command Gen. Qassem Soleimani who was blown up in a drone strike by U.S. president Donald Trump on Friday.

Hours later, the Washington Post and Reuters reported they had seen a letter to a top Iraqi military leader saying they were ready to move out.

“Sir, in deference to the sovereignty of the Republic of Iraq, and as requested by the Iraqi Parliament and the Prime Minister, CJTF-OIR will be repositioning forces over the course of the coming days and weeks to prepare for onward movement,” Reuters quoted from a letter from United States Marine Corps Brigadier General William H. Seely III, the commanding general of Task Force Iraq.

“We respect your sovereign decision to order our departure,” it said.

Iraq’s parliament on Sunday voted 170-0 that all foreign troops be ordered out of the country.

It later appeared the Americans were just moving personnel out of the Baghdad area to other parts of the country.

Earlier in the day, Zeinab Soleimani, the slain man’s daughter, told mourners at the nationally televised funeral: “America and Zionism should know that my father’s martyrdom will lead to awakening … in the resistance front and bring about a dark day for them and flatten their homes.

“Crazy Trump, don’t think that everything is over with my father’s martyrdom.”

Iran has vowed bloody revenge for the assassination. Trump, in turn, has said any Iranian attempts to retaliate will be met with attacks on 52 sites in Iran. The same number of hostages Iranian students took at the U.S. embassy in 1980

Trump has said some of the planned attack sites are culturally important, prompting his opponents to say he is planning war crimes.

“They’re allowed to kill our people. They’re allowed to torture and maim our people. They’re allowed to use roadside bombs and blow up our people. And we’re not allowed to touch their cultural site? It doesn’t work that way,” Trump told reporters on Air Force One Sunday night as he flew back to Washington from his holiday break in Florida.

The caskets of Soleimani and Iraqi militia leader, Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, who was also killed in Friday’s attack, were draped in flags as they were passed hand-over- hand through the teeming crowds.

It was the biggest outpouring of grief since the 1989 funeral for the founder of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

Soleimani’s body will be buried Tuesday in his hometown of Kerman, in southern Iraq, on Tuesday.

Soleimani was head of the Quds Force, the unit in charge of foreign operations of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards. Trump has said he is responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans.

In other developments.

• CNN reported the U.S. was sending 6 massive B-52 bombers to a staging area in the Indian Ocean.

• Oil prices on Monday rose to $70 a barrel.

• The UK has said they wouldn’t support the U.S. bombing Iranian cultural sites.

• Iran said they were dropping out of a 2015 nuclear deal that limited the amount of uranium they could develop.

• The U.S. deployed 3,500 members of the 82nd Airborne to the Middle East.

• France, the UK and Germany issued a joint statement urging restraint on all sides.

dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Twitter: @Nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

News

UCP creates $10 million corporate welfare program to fight global warming

The Alberta government has created a new program funded through the province’s carbon tax.

mm

Published

on

Albeta’s UCP government has launched another multi-million corporate welfare program – this time spending $10 million on three projects funded through the provincial carbon tax.

The government said Wednesday that $3 million will be given to the Sundre Petroleum Operators Group (SPOG) to test the viability of methane emissions reduction technology, saying that improvements could enhance the accuracy of finding methane emission leaks at a lower cost. 

The government also gave the Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii) $5-million to develop artificial intelligence capabilities that could help companies identify emission reductions opportunities.

Finally, it will give $2 million to the Petroleum Technology Alliance of Canada (PTAC) to conduct applied research that could improve oil and gas sector methane emission management and control, while also reducing costs to industry. 

“Last year, when we introduced TIER, we said we would help job creators reduce their emissions by making investments in technology and research,” said Environment Minister Jason Nixon in a statement.

TIER (Technology Innovation and Emissions Reduction Regulation) is the new name given to Alberta’s carbon tax to replace the NDP’s “Climate Action Plan”.

“Today’s announcement is an example of that, and helps further our position as a global leader in technology-driven environmentally responsible development. These programs will help industry identify, track, measure and ultimately reduce emissions. They will also ensure we maintain our competitive edge while creating jobs and economic growth for Alberta.”

The UCP platform broadly committed to ending corporate welfare subsidies.

“Premier Jason Kenney needs to get back to doing good work on reducing taxes for everyone and stop picking winners and losers,” said Franco Terrazzano, Alberta Director for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation. 

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard
dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Calgary cops identify suspects in hate crime attack

“It is shocking to see anyone targeted for a crime because of a personal characteristic, but it is extremely disturbing to see the same community targeted three times in one weekend,” said Sgt. Arlene Padnivelan,

mm

Published

on

Calgary copssay they have identified two men who attacked a same sex couple as they strolled down a northwest street.

It was one of three attacks over the weekend against members of Calgary’s LGBTQ2S+ community.

The incident occurred around 5:30 p.m., on Monday, as a same-sex couple was walking near the intersection of 9 St. and Memorial Dr. N.W., when two men and two women on electronic scooters approached them, police said.

“An altercation occurred and it is believed the two men on scooters assaulted the couple because of their sexual orientation. A belt, rocks and a recycling bin were used as weapons and then the group fled,” said police in a press released.

Suspects wanted in connection with a same sex attack
Courtesy Calgary Police Service

“Our officers arrived shortly after and searched the area but could not locate the group. The victims received medical care for non-life-threatening injuries.”

The two suspects are both described as being about 30 years old, average height and build, with trim black beards and short black hair. The one was wearing black framed glasses, white polo shirt, dark pants, brown loafers, and white socks. The other was wearing a grey polo shirt with white collar and sleeves, grey pants, and white runners.

Police said Wednesday morning the suspects had been identified and the investigation continues.

The first incident happened when man was assaulted near the intersection of 17 Ave. and 12 St. in the middle of the day on Friday. It is alleged that a group of men attacked the victim while calling him homophobic slurs and then fled.

The second incident occurred around 1 p.m. on Saturday on the Rainbow Crosswalk at the intersection of Centre St. and Stephen Avenue Mall. A Drag King recording a video was spat on by an unknown man walking past. The incident is now being investigated and video and CCTV footage is being collected by us to help identify the man responsible, said police.

“It is shocking to see anyone targeted for a crime because of a personal characteristic, but it is extremely disturbing to see the same community targeted three times in one weekend,” said Sgt. Arlene Padnivelan, with the Calgary Police Service Diversity Resource Team.

“It is unacceptable that this is happening and we will absolutely investigate anytime a crime is motivated by hate or bias.”

Police encourage anyone who has been targeted for ill treatment or a crime because of their sexual orientation, gender, race, religion or some other similar trait to report it.

“We fully recognize that sometimes people do not want to involve the police or don’t feel comfortable coming to us for help,” said Padnivelan.

“We respect the wishes of those who are most affected by the incident and never force a victim to participate in a police investigation. However, if there is a way we can help make a person feel safe enough to come forward, we want to try do that.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Mountain guide trashes Alberta litterbugs

“There was more trash left on the ground after every weekend than ever before,” said guide Michael Vincent

mm

Published

on

A Lake Louise mountain guide is trashing Albertans for the amount of garbage they are leaving behind in the mountain parks.

Michael Vincent, a 25-year veteran guide, said in a Facebook post he has noticed the problem has been getting worse, with the tipping point coming the last weekend with the Heritage Day holiday.

“As you all may know, long weekends in summer are traditionally VERY busy at the most famous lake in Canada,” he tweeted.

“This years is no exception…even with COVID there are thousands of visitors per day. The difference this year is who they are: 99.9 per cent Canadians because no one else can get here. Of those, 90 per cent are Albertans. At first, I loved the fact Albertans were enjoying their own backyard more than ever before…what a place to be trapped.

“And then we started to notice a change…there was more trash left on the ground after every weekend than ever before.

“Today I was shocked…this is one day of litter from one of the most popular hikes in the area, Lake Agnes. The staff at the tea house gave me some gloves and a bag so I could pick it up on the way down. Thanks to my guests for helping me spot all the trash.”

After seeing the picture on Twitter, Alberta Parks Minister Jason Nixon lashed out at the litterbugs.

“This occurred in a nat’l park, but it’s a critical reminder to all Albertans to leave the land better than you found it — in our nat’l parks, provincial parks & public lands. Our backyard is beautiful. Let’s keep it that way,” Nixon tweet.

“We’ve stepped up enforcement and added garbages and portable toilets in parks & on public lands but folks need to make better choices. It would be a shame if a few careless ppl ruined it for the rest of us.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

Sign up for the Western Standard Newsletter

Free news and updates
* = required field

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard owned by Wildrose Media Corp.