fbpx
Connect with us

News

First toilet paper – now bullets

Retailers across the country said they have seen a run on ammunition, 90 per cent of which is produced in the U.S.

mm

Published

on

The coronavirus has off a run on ammunition sales in Canada, with gun enthusiasts worried about supplies becoming short.

“It’s been like the toilet paper run,” a target shooter called Jeff said in an interview with the Western Standard.

“If you want lots at the last minute, your’re screwed. I’ve bought a little here and there when they have been on sale, so I’m okay.”

Retailers across the country said they have seen a run on ammunition, 90 per cent of which is produced in the U.S.

“There’s no doubt that there’s been a stretch of busy days with lots of customers coming through. Right now, the big push is for ammunition,” Backcountry store owner Steve Hewitt, in Fort St. John, told the Alaska Highway News.

“Some people are coming in because they’ve heard rumours that there will be ammunition shortages but that isn’t the case. Other reasons people are coming in are they want to be stocked in case we have to close, they want to spend the down time target shooting, or they’re worried that prices may go up.”

Ross Faulkner, owner of The Gun Dealer in McAdam, N.B., said he has seen a surge.

“When things get tough, it’s certainly a feeling of security, especially when you’re dealing with uncertain times like we’re dealing with now,” he told CBC

Strong firearms sales are also a concerns because the feds have promised to bring in new gun laws.

“This happens when people are worried about where things are headed, but honestly we haven’t seen anything quite like this,” Hewitt said to the CBC.

Wes Winkel, who runs a gun shop in Ontario, has never seen a spike in sales like what he’s experienced in the last week: a 200 per cent increase.

He said business came from hunters and target shooters worried the supply of ammunition.

“Unprecedented. That’s the only way I could describe it,” Winkel, who runs Ellwood Epps Sports Goods in Orillia, Ont., told the CBC. 

Photos from the U.S. have shown people lined up around the block at gun stores.

“This is self-preservation. This is panic. This is ‘I won’t be able to protect my family from the hordes and the walking dead,'” said Ed Turner of Ed’s Public Safety in Stockbridge, Ga., adding sales are up five-fold.

An image of a lineup outside Retting Guns in Culver City, Calif., has been making the rounds on social media. On their Facebook page on March 13, the store’s owners said ammunition supplies were running low for some types.

On Tuesday, CBC said the owners moved to limit capacity inside the store to 25 at a time, asking customers to sign up to gain access. By the next day, they had moved to appointment only to deal with the influx of buyers. 

Because only licensed gun owners can make those purchases in Canada, there is no reason to be worried, said the CEO of the Canadian Coalition for Firearms Rights.

“It’s not criminals that are swamping the gun stores, it’s law-abiding citizens that would go through the trouble to get and hold a licence,” Rod Giltaca told the CBC.

Federal Safety Minister Bill Blair said the Liberal government would act quickly in bringing in a ban on the so-called “assault-style” weapons.

There was also a talk of a buy-back programs that could cost billions of dollars for the government to buy the guns off Canadians who had purchased them while legal.

The federal government says they are looking to ban “assault rifles” and “military-style” guns across the country quickly – despite the fact they haven’t defined what constitutes one yet, or have been already banned since the 1970s.

Blair has said the “military-style” rifle ban will come in the “near term,” and added gun ownership is a privilege, not a right.

Blair has said a handgun ban will take longer to bring in because municipalities will have to be consulted.

The outbreak of the coronavirus has likely but new gun control regulations on the back burner.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Twitter: @Nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

News

Support for truckers needed to get supplies to Canadian destinations

There are currently 9,663 cases of COVID-19 in Canada with 2,204 cases from B.C. to Manitoba.

mm

Published

on

Truck drivers are still working to ensure our store shelves are filled and fresh produce is available – and they need supports too.

News reports of truck drivers being denied access to washrooms and food at drive-thrus have been noted around the country.

Alberta Transportation has reopened a number of highway rest stops along Highway 2 but asked that drivers carry their own toilet paper and hand sanitizer in case the rest stop is out.

The province closed a number of rest stop washrooms as “cost saving measures’ in October but have since reopened some along common transport routes to accommodate drivers who must be on the roads to deliver goods.

“Keeping these washrooms open is a priority as the trucking industry and the movement of goods is crucially important,” Alberta Transportation said.

The Alberta Motor Transportation Association has provided a new rest stop database on their website for drivers who are still making the trips along Alberta highways and some restaurants such as McDonald’s are offering curbside delivery to drivers who cannot go through a drive-thru.

Jeff, a driver who runs from Calgary to Medicine Hat, AB, says the traffic has dropped and is mostly trucks now.

“I feel for the drivers who are far from home. I see many at the rest stops overnight and I wonder if they have food or a restroom break or a shower,” he said.

Advocates have been trying to raise awareness of the needs of drivers who may be on the road for long periods and leadership is taking a stand.

“Trucking is an essential service — that’s not the opinion of the Manitoba Trucking Association, that’s the opinion of the Prime Minister of Canada,” Prime Minister Trudeau said on March 18.

Provinces across the country have asked businesses to do what they can to accommodate drivers who are bringing necessary goods to towns and cities across the country.

Social media users are encouraged to use the hashtag #thankatrucker with their stories and thanks to those who are working to ensure we have everything we need here at home.

Alberta

Alberta announced 117 new cases Wednesday, bringing the province’s total to 871.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Albertas Chief Medical Officer of Health, also reported two additional deaths in the province.

There are 41 cases of COVID-19 at long-term or continuing care centres in the province.

Additional information for Alberta residents can be found here.

British Columbia

B.C. reported 53 new cases bringing its total to 1,066.

There are 22 care homes in the province with positive cases, up from 19 Tuesday.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.s health official, announced one new death, for a total of 25 COVID-19 related deaths in the province to date.

Additional information for B.C. residents can be found here.

Manitoba

The province announced 24 new cases on Wednesday bringing the province’s total to 127.

Four individuals have been hospitalized and three of those are in intensive care.

Chief provincial public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin says public health officials have begun to see community transmission in Winnipeg.

“Public health investigations have not been able to confirm several cases to travel or other confirmed cases. We knew to expect this as more cases are introduced in a jurisdiction, community transmission is going to be inevitable.”

Additional information for Manitoba residents can be found here.

Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan identified nine new cases on Wednesday bringing the province’s total to 193.

The province also recognized the COVID-related death of a third resident.

Eight cases in the province cannot be traced either to travel or known cases.

At this time, Dr, Saqib Shahab, Chief Medical Health Officer for the province, said aside from the four individuals in hospital, all other cases are recovering at home.

Additional information for Saskatchewan residents can be found here.

Provincial tallies:

  • Quebec: 4,611 confirmed and presumptive cases, including 1 recovered and 33 deaths
  • Ontario: 2,392 cases including 501 recovered and 37 deaths
  • British Columbia: 1,013 confirmed cases including 507 recovered and 24 deaths
  • Alberta: 871 confirmed cases including 120 recovered and 11 deaths
  • Saskatchewan: 193 confirmed cases including 30 recovered and 3 deaths
  • Newfoundland and Labrador: 175 confirmed cases and 1 death
  • Nova Scotia: 173 confirmed and presumptive cases
  • Manitoba: 127 confirmed cases including 4 recovered and 1 death
  • New Brunswick: 81 confirmed and presumptive cases
  • Prince Edward Island: 21 confirmed cases, and 3 recovered
  • Yukon: 5 confirmed cases
  • Northwest Territories: 1 confirmed case
  • Nunavut: 0 cases

There are currently 9,663 cases of COVID-19 in Canada with 2,204 cases from B.C. to Manitoba.

Deirdre Mitchell-MacLean is a Senior Reporter with Western Standard
dmaclean@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter @Mitchell_AB

Continue Reading

News

Key climate change talks cancelled by coronavirus

“We will continue to work with all involved to increase climate ambition, build resilience and lower emissions.”

mm

Published

on

A gathering of world experts on climate change set for Glasgow later this year has been cancelled due to the coronavirus crisis.

COP26 was to have been the most important climate change meeting since Paris in 2015 where world leaders laid out their country’s goals in cutting carbon emissions.

The meeting with 26,000 attendees was to have been held in November but has been put back to 2021.

“In light of the ongoing, worldwide effects of COVID-19, holding an ambitious, inclusive COP26 in November 2020 is no longer possible,” said a statement issued Wednesday night by the British government.

“We will continue to work with all involved to increase climate ambition, build resilience and lower emissions.”

COP26 President-Designate and British Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Alok Sharma said: “The world is currently facing an unprecedented global challenge and countries are rightly focusing their efforts on saving lives and fighting COVID-19. That is why we have decided to reschedule COP26.

“We will continue working tirelessly with our partners to deliver the ambition needed to tackle the climate crisis and I look forward to agreeing a new date for the conference.”

UN Climate Change Executive Secretary Patricia Espinosa said:” Covid-19 is the most urgent threat facing humanity today, but we cannot forget that climate change is the biggest threat facing humanity over the long term.

“Soon, economies will restart. This is a chance for nations to recover better, to include the most vulnerable in those plans, and a chance to shape the 21st century economy in ways that are clean, green, healthy, just, safe and more resilient.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Twitter: @Nobby76794

Continue Reading

News

U.S. Intelligence says China’s COVID numbers are “fake”

As the rate of infection continues to rise in other countries, it’s looking more like China’s reports are the ones that don’t add up.

mm

Published

on

With more than twice as many cases being reported in the U.S., speculation about China’s reporting was already mainstream; now two U.S. officials say that a recently submitted “report concludes that China’s numbers are fake.”

The report was submitted to the White House last week the sources told Bloomberg.

China has claimed only 82,000 cases with 3,300 deaths – since the first cases appeared in late 2019 – while the U.S. has reported over 190,000 cases and 4,133 deaths since the first case was identified on March 5, 2020.

Knowing what we do now, that the virus spreads rapidly once it appears – and that China did not declare an emergency situation until mid-January – its claims are not in line with what other countries are experiencing.

Both Spain and Italy have healthcare systems in crisis. Spain has over 100,000 cases and has reported more than 9,000 deaths while Italy has just over 105,000 cases and has reported 12,000 deaths.

On Tuesday, the State Department immunologist advising the White House on its COVID response, Dr. Deborah Birx, said the data from China influenced responses to a potential outbreak.

“I think the medical community … interpreted the Chinese data as: This was serious, but smaller than anyone expected,” she said during a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

“I think when you look at the China data originally, and you said ‘there’s 80 million people, or 20 million people in Wuhan and 80 million people in Hubei (province)’, and they come up with the number of 50,000 (cases), you start thinking this is more like SARS than.. a global pandemic.”

Birx said that the data from Italy and Spain is likely a better indicator of what should be expected.

Canada and the U.S. had access to better data from Spain and Italy by the time the virus showed up in their own countries, but the inconsistency in reporting from China at first made Italy seem like an outlier. As the rate of infection continues to rise in other countries, it’s looking more like China’s reports are the ones that don’t add up.

Deirdre Mitchell-MacLean is a Senior Reporter with Western Standard
dmaclean@westernstandardonline.com
Twitter @Mitchell_AB

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard owned by Wildrose Media Corp.