fbpx
Connect with us

News

RCMP release details of Canada’s worst massacre; Killer had what looked like assault rifle

RCMP said 13 of the victims were shot to death and nine died in fires set by Wortman.

mm

Published

on

The RCMP released a detailed timeline Monday of Gabriel Wortman’s actions during the largest mass killing in Canadian history.

A total of 22 people were shot and killed last Saturday and Sunday as Wortman rampaged through rural Nova Scotia.

RCMP revealed at a press conference 13 of the victims were shot to death and nine died in fires set by Wortman.

It was also revealed Wortman had “what could be described as a military-style assault rifle.” RCMP said the denturist got his weapons illegally from both Canada and the U.S.

Supt. Darren Campbell said Wortman was wearing an authentic police shirt and pants with a yellow stripe. He said real police uniforms can be bought online, in surplus stores or at auction.

Campbell said police have found four replica police cars bought at auction by Wortman, with one of them being outfitted with a light bar and authentic RCMP decals. It was this vehicle he used in the rampage.

He said police had no knowledge of the vehicles before the massacre.

Campbell said first police knew something was wrong at 10:26 p.m. Saturday night when they received a 911 call in Portapique, about a shooting. RCMP flooded the area, found several bodies and set up a perimeter to try and contain their suspect.

As first reported by the Western Standard on Monday the incident began as a domestic dispute between Wortman and his beau and another man. When the neighbours investigated they were also shot. The house was then set on fire by Wortman.

But, Campbell said, Wortman was able to escape the perimeter by driving across a field.

He then was able to drive 26 km where he spent the night. Throughout the RCMP press conference pictures of Wortman’s vehicle at various locations were shown, captured by CCTV.

Campbell said at 5:43 a.m., Wortman then started driving his fake cop car for more than 44 km. He then stopped at a residence at 6:29 a.m. where he killed two woman and a man.

Wortman is then spotted at 9:23 and at 9:48 a.m. he killed another woman in the area of Hwy. 4 and Hwy. 224.

The killer then drove to Debert, where he had spent the night earlier. He also drove through Truro before stopping at 10:25 at Hwy. 2 near Millbrook where he was spotted on CCTV changing his police uniform.

At 10:49 a.m., Wortman encountered RCMP Const. Chad Morrison and he shot and wounded him. Morrison survived and is now recovering at home.

Moment later Wortman shot and killed Const. Heidi Stevenson before stealing her gun and ammunition.

Const. Heidi Stevenson

Wortman then stopped at an acquaintance’s home and killed the residents.

It was there Wortman dumped the replica police car and was able to load his weapons, first into a silver SUV, and later a Mazda.

Wortman then travelled 22 km where, at 11:23 a.m. he pulled into a Irving gas station. Two Tac team officers happened to be at the station and recognized their suspect.

Western Standard sources said they ordered him to surrender, but Wortman started reaching across the seat. He was then shot to death by the two officers.

Campbell cryptically hinted at the press conference that friends of Wortman said he may have had grenades. He also added the madman killed pets and animals at the various crimes scenes.

At no time during their press conference did the RCMP use Wortman’s name.

So far the RCMP have identified 435 witnesses and have interviewed half of them.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

dnaylor@westewrnstandardonline.com

TWITTER: Twitter.com/nobby7694

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard. He has served as the City Editor of the Calgary Sun and has covered Alberta news for nearly 40 years. dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

News

NDP slams UCP for no-bid spending from Kenney’s office

The UCP response has been: Well you guys did it as well.

mm

Published

on

Alberta’s NDP is accusing Premier Jason Kenney office for funnelling hundreds of thousands of dollars to his pals in no-bid contracts.

The UCP response has been: Well you guys did it as well.

An NDP release said Yorkville Strategies, the UCP’s polling company, “was handed $481,560 worth of taxpayers’ money through no-bid contracts, according to recently released government sole-source contract disclosures.

The release said Yorkville’s president, Dimitri Pantazopoulos, was Kenney’s “senior strategic advisor” during the 2019 provincial election campaign

The release claimed since the election, Vek Labs – a video production company – has gotten $73,500 worth of public money through no-bid contracts to make “flattering videos of the premier.”

The release also claimed Enterprise Canada, a company run by Erika Barootes, who was president of the United Conservative Party through the 2019 election campaign, was handed $12,800 in no-bid contracts to provide “media training for the Premier’s Communications Staff and Minister’s Office Press Secretaries.”

Neither Yorkville Strategies, Vek Labs, or Enterprise Canada had won any government contracts before the 2019 election, the NDP said.

“All Alberta companies should have a right to bid for government contracts,” said Heather Sweet, NDP Opposition Critic for Democracy and Ethics in a release.

“Alberta taxpayers have a right to expect these companies to compete on price and value, and for public servants to select them based on the strength of their bid, not their coziness with the premier.

“Jason Kenney is the most corrupt premier in Alberta history, and now he’s letting his partisan cronies skip the bidding and help themselves to taxpayers’ money. 

“Jason Kenney shamefully diverted pandemic relief funding from taxpayers to subsidize his political party.

“Now we see he’s also funneling Alberta taxpayers’ money to his partisan cronies’ companies. While Albertans are losing their jobs and businesses in massive numbers, Jason Kenney’s partisan cronies are laughing all the way to the bank with Alberta taxpayers’ money.”

Kenney’s issue manger, Matt Wolf, quickly took to Twitter to defend his boss, saying the NDP did the same thing when they were in power.

Wolf tweet

“Let’s not forget John Heaney, one of @RachelNotley‘s former chiefs of staff. He was paid $287,000/year in that role. Then a few months after he left that role, he was swiftly handed a $130,000 contract from @joececiyyc‘s ministry. #ableg“, Wolf also tweeted.

Kenney’s office also responded with a lengthy release.

“The Government of Alberta has been polling more frequently recently in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, as it’s important to better understand Albertans’ views,” said the statement.

“This government’s contracting has followed all applicable policies – the same policies that existed under the previous NDP Government.

“Yorkville Strategies is on Communications and Public Engagement’s pre-qualified vendor list. This list exists so that polling can take place for rapidly emerging issues in a timely fashion (ex. COVID-19).

“Our government spent less last year than the former NDP government in 2018-19. Yorkville is but one firm able to provide government polling. 

“The NDP’s criticism is rich:

“They provided $438,000 to NDP-linked campaign firm Stratcom. Stratcom was founded in Vancouver by a former Greenpeace director, and has had clients including the NDP (federal and provincial), the David Suzuki Foundation, Greenpeace, Ecojustice, and the Alberta Federation of Labour. 

“Rachel Notley’s former chief of staff, John Heaney. He was paid a salary of $287,000/year. Just months after he left, he was awarded a $130,000 contract by the Ministry of Finance.

“A former chief of staff to Saskatchewan NDP Premier Roy Romanow was awarded contracts worth $40,000 to “provide advice on…efficient working relationships” and to “make recommendations on processes and paper flow.”

“Most recently, it was even discovered that Rachel Notley is using tax dollars for Facebook ads to promote her new dog.”

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Kenney says Alberta considering joining gun legal battle

Kenney has previous said Alberta will begin appointing its own chief firearms officer, which had previously been chosen by Ottawa.

mm

Published

on

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says Alberta is looking at getting intervener status in upcoming court challenges to the federal Liberals new gun control laws.

“We believe that individual citizens who are impacted by these new regulations would have a stronger standing in a court challenge, and we are serious about potentially coming in to support a legal action by an individual citizen or group of citizens,” Kenney said Wednesday in announcing two new gun initiatives in Alberta.

Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe has made similar comments about his provinces joining the court battle.

Kenney has previous said Alberta will begin appointing its own chief firearms officer, which had previously been chosen by Ottawa.

Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick already appoint their own chief officers.

The Western Standard earlier reported the RCMP are quietly adding more guns to the list of 1,500 banned by the federal government earlier this month.

The RCMP, which manages the FRT through the Canadian Firearms Program, sent a statement confirming the re-classification was taking place beyond the original list of 1,500, and so far no public notification has taken place.

Alberta announced Wednesday, Alberta is establishing a provincial firearms examination unit to speed up testing of guns that have been seized as evidence in criminal investigations and striking a firearms panel to help advise the government.

While the Calgary Police Service (CPS) carries out this testing in its own facility and the Edmonton Police Service (EPS) is establishing a lab of its own, most police services in Alberta rely on the RCMP’s National Forensic Laboratory Services in Ottawa to fulfil this requirement with a straightforward test-firing procedure.

“In the fall of 2019, data indicated it was taking an average of eight months for the national RCMP laboratory to process a routine firearms testing request from Alberta. To prevent lengthy court delays from putting the prosecution of violent criminals at risk, Alberta is ending its reliance on the federal laboratory by establishing a provincial unit to perform tests on firearms used in crimes,” the government said in a release.

“Justice and Solicitor General is working on a plan with its partners at CPS, EPS, RCMP and Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams (ALERT) to establish a team and protocols for conducting firearms testing at the existing lab in Calgary and the forthcoming facility in Edmonton.”

In early May, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday they are banning 1,500 different makes and models of what he called “military-style” and “assault-style” guns in Canada.

The ban came into effect immediately and was ordered by the cabinet without any bill or debate in Parliament.

The Liberals campaigned in the last election to ban assault rifles and introduce legislation allowing cities to ban handguns.

The federal government still has to work out the details of a buy-back program to compensate the owners of previous legal firearms.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

News

Sharpton mocks Trudeau over 21-second pause

Trudeau gazed ahead for a full 21 seconds before he started to answer the question.

mm

Published

on

Controversial U.S. preacher Rev. Al Sharpton took a jab at Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for taking 21 seconds before he answered a question about rioting south of the border.

In a press conference on Wednesday, Trudeau was asked about what he thought of the situation in the U.S. and the actions of President Donald Trump.

Trudeau gazed ahead for a full 21 seconds before he started to answer the question.

When asked by a Canadian news crew in the States about recent event non Thursday, Sharpton gave an impassioned answer about how he was tired of preaching at funerals of African Americans killed by police and that the death of Minneapolis man George Floyd at the hands of a white police officer would be a turning point in American race relations.

“I’m going to express that in my eulogy, and since you’re from Canada, I won’t have a 21 second gap before I say what I have to say,” Sharpton said.

Rev. Al Sharpton

During eight nights of rioting, thousands of people of been arrested and hundreds of police officers injured.

The police officer who arrested George has been charged with second-degree murder.

Dave Naylor is the News Editor of the Western Standard

dnaylor@westernstandardonline.com

Twitter.com/nobby7694

Continue Reading

Sign up for the Western Standard Newsletter

Free news and updates
* = required field

Trending

Copyright © Western Standard owned by Wildrose Media Corp.